We are a people called to be salt and light in the world.
Through our mission to the community and the world we hope to be Christ’s hands and feet, caring for those whom Christ himself spent most of his time with—the outcast, the poor, the lonely, the downtrodden, the lost and the least. We do this work through a number of ministries.
The biggest mission to Monroe County is the Now I Lay Me Down To Bed Ministry, providing beds for infants, children and youth without them –learn more about this ministry. Here are a few highlights of other areas we work in:
- Community of Need Meal: Part of the God Work’s ministry in Monroe, we offer the Thursday night meal each week throughout the year to anyone in need of a hot meal. We typically serve anywhere from 70-150 people each Thursday night. Often, other churches or organizations come to prepare and serve a meal, truly making it a community effort.
- Caravan: Each summer a number of adults and teens head out on a week-long mission trip. For the past number of years we have worked with HOMES, Inc. in Kentucky. Not only is this a work trip seeking to help those in need of home repairs but it also creates meaning and passion for us to return and care for those in our own community.
- Neighbor to Neighbor: Our Neighbor to Neighbor team is trying to discover how we can make our mission be more than just an “us” and “them.” Through the scriptures we find Jesus spending time with people, eating, praying, teaching, and simply walking with them on their journeys. We want our mission to be more than a transaction and be more like Jesus’ministry to begin to be in relationship with those we serve.
- International Partnerships: We are conscious of the fact that the Church is not only in the United States, but all over the world and we can love and support our brothers and sisters, many of whom have very little. Currently we are partnering with the Robertson family who works in Chad through Africa Inland Mission Service.
- Alternative Advent Fair: Each Advent we offer the congregation an opportunity to give “gifts” through the offering of a donation to a designated mission in honor of someone. We also sell fair trade items through the PC(USA) that help families abroad earn living wages to care for their loved ones.
If you are interested in learning more about any of these outreach opportunities, please contact us.